Last Updated on September 6, 2022 by Electricalvolt
Calibration of the eddy current conductivity meter is needed to know the exact conductivity value of the solution. Eddy current conductivity meters are a type of conductivity meter to measure the conductivity of water or soil.
In this article, we will discuss the calibration procedure of an eddy current conductivity meter.
What is eddy current conductivity meter?
Eddy current conductivity meter measures the number of the specific ions by using eddy current in a given sample. Eddy current conductivity meters are widely used in industries because they can measure the difference in two physical characteristics of a given solution. The most important advantage of this eddy current conductivity meter is that the setup is portable. Hence, the meter can be carried anywhere and used efficiently.
How to Calibrate the Eddy Current Conductivity Meter?
Below mentioned steps can be followed to calibrate an eddy current conductivity meter
- Press the POWER button to turn ON the conductivity meter.
- Then connect the probe to the meter.
- Clean the conductivity meter’s probe as prescribed by the vendor. Inspect the probe visually. There should not be any dent or damage on the probe.
- Now press the CAL key on the meter. The meter will ask to put the probe in the air. So, keep the probe in the air for 3 to 5 seconds and press the calibration key again.
- Then the meter will as to put the probe on Calibration Block number 1. Inspect Calibration Block number 1, it should be clean. Then place the probe vertically on Calibration Block 1. Wait for 3 seconds to 5 seconds and then press the CAL button.
- Now the meter will ask to place the probe on Calibration Block number 2. Ensure that the Calibration Block is clean. Place the probe on Calibration Block number 2. Wait for 3 seconds to 5 seconds. Then press the CAL button.
- Now place the probe on Calibration Block 1 and see the reading. The reading should match the conductivity value of Calibration Block number 1.
- Similarly, check for Calibration Block number 2.
- If there is a value mismatch then do the calibration procedure again.
Applications of the Eddy Current Conductivity Meter?
- To know the conductivity of a given sample of soil. This will help to know the quality of the soil.
- To know the conductivity of a given liquid. This will help to know the sample liquid’s conductivity where no conductivity meter is installed in plants.
- Knowing the conductivity of a given metal will help to determine the constituent particles in the metal.
- To know the result of the heat treatment of any metal. After heat treatment, the conductivity of the metal changes. So, this eddy current conductivity meter can be used to measure the conductivity and know the result of the heat treatment procedure done on the metal.