Last Updated on January 27, 2023 by Electricalvolt
This article describes the Level Measurement Questions & Answers Part-1. The level measurement is a very important measurement for a process control and widely used in all types of industries.
We will discuss the following level measurement questions and answers in part-1.
Q.1 What is level measurement?
- Level measurement is the measurement technique used in the industries to know the amount or percentage of level filled in any tank or vessel or sphere.
Q.2 Why do we need to measure the level?
- By measuring the level we can know the inventory in terms of volume or weight.
- For maintaining a proper amount of the stock in inventory so that the production does not stops.
- To save pumps which may get damaged by cavitation in case of low level.
- To avoid the tank getting over filled, which can cause spillage and if the material is hazardous or toxic, then it can cause damage to life as well as environment.
Q.3 What are the types of level measurement techniques used in industries?
- Two types of level measurement techniques are used in industries
- Continuous level measurement
- Point level measurement
Q.4 What is continuous level measurement and how is it done?
- Continuous level measurement is technique used to measure level from 0% to 100%. Level transmitters are used for continuous level measurement.
Q.5 What is point level measurement and how is it done?
- Point level measurement is technique used to know whether the level is above or below a specific level. Level switches are used for measurement of point level.
Q.6 What are the types of level transmitters used for continuous level measurement?
- Level transmitters like differential pressure type level transmitter, bubbler type level transmitter, radar type level transmitter, ultrasonic type level transmitter, nuclear type level transmitter, capacitive type level transmitter, servo type level transmitter are used for continuous level measurement.
Q.7 For measurement of solid media in a tank, which level transmitter can be used?
- For measuring level of solid media in a tank, we can use radar type level transmitter, ultrasonic type level transmitter and nuclear type level transmitter.
Q.8 Differential pressure type level transmitter is widely used in which service?
- Differential pressure type level transmitter is widely used for level measurements in open as well as closed tanks which store liquids.
Q.9 What are two types of configurations of differential pressure type level transmitter?
- Wet leg type level transmitters as well as dry leg type level transmitter are two types of differential pressure type level transmitter configurations.
Q.10 What is the main advantage of the bubbler type level transmitter?
- In bubbler type level transmitter, the fluid of the process does not come in contact with the level transmitter.
Q.11 On what principle does ultrasonic type level transmitter and radar type level transmitter works?
- Ultrasonic type level transmitter and radar type level transmitter works on the principle of time of flight.
Q.12 What is time of flight principle used for level measurement using ultrasonic and radar type level transmitter?
- In time of flight principle, the time of the waves which are sent from the transmitter and received back after hitting the surface is noted down by the electronics module (trans-receiver). Based on the time and speed of the waves, distance can be easily known which is our required level.
Q.13 Which among ultrasonic and radar type level transmitter can be used to measure interface?
- Radar type level transmitter can be used to measure the interface in a liquid.
Q.14 Radar type level transmitter uses which property of liquid to measure the level?
- Radar type level transmitter used the dielectric constant of the liquid to measure the level of liquid.
Q.15 What are the types of radar type level transmitter?
- There are two types of radar type level transmitter are available. One is contact type level transmitter and other is non-contact type level transmitter.
Q.16 What is the advantage of the radar type level transmitter over the ultrasonic type level transmitter?
- In radar-type level transmitters, radar waves are used to measure the level of the liquid. While in the ultrasonic-type level transmitters, sound waves are used. So, an ultrasonic-level transmitter requires a medium for sending sound waves. Hence, ultrasonic-type level transmitters cannot be used in vacuum services. At the same time, radar-type level transmitters can be easily used in vacuum services. This is the main advantage of the radar-type level transmitter over the ultrasonic-type level transmitter.