Last Updated on October 28, 2023 by Electricalvolt
There are two types of 3-phase induction motors. These are the squirrel cage induction motor & slip ring induction motor. We shall discuss the application of squirrel cage induction motor & slip ring induction motor in this article. The working principle of the squirrel cage and slip ring induction motor is based on Faraday’s law of electromagnetic induction. The torque of the induction motor depends on the rotor resistance.
The end rings short-circuit the rotor of a squirrel cage induction motor, and therefore it is impossible to connect external resistance to the rotor winding. At the same time, it is possible in slip ring induction motor.
The starting torque of the squirrel cage motor is low. Therefore, the motor is unsuitable for applications that demand higher starting torque. The use of a double cage rotor can improve the starting torque of the squirrel cage induction motor.
Applications of Squirrel Cage Induction Motor
The squirrel cage induction motor is suitable for the application where;
- A moderate starting torque is required
- A constant speed is required. ( The speed can be controlled through VFD). The induction motor is a reasonably constant-speed motor.
Applications of Slip ring Induction Motor
The slip ring induction motor is suitable for the application where,
- The Applications that demand higher starting torque need a slip-ring induction motor. Therefore, a ring induction motor is suitable for driving high inertia loads.
- Speed control is required ( the speed can be controlled through a Grid resistance regulator. Also, there is substantial power saving if used for driving the centrifugal fans and pumps. The other option of power saving is the slip power recovery system. The rotor copper loss or the slip power is recovered and returned to the mains. Thus, with SPRS, the total recovery of the slip power is possible. The SPRS is more efficient than GRR.
Related Posts on Induction Motor
- Three Phase Induction Motor Interview Questions & Answers
- 60 Top Induction Motor Interview Questions and Answers Part-1
- Why do 3 phase induction motors not need a neutral?
- Different Ways to Improve Starting Torque of A.C. Induction Motors
- Why Three Phase Induction Motor Self-Starting?
- What is the slip value of a 3-phase induction motor at synchronous speed and starting speed?
- Why an Induction Motor is almost constant Speed Motor?
- Why the rotor winding of three phase wound rotor induction motor is star connected?
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Induction Motor
- Why Induction Motor is called Rotating Transformer?
- Why Induction Motor is called Asynchronous Motor?
- Dispersion Coefficient of Induction Motor